Many social media platforms have come and gone but Facebook remains the most widely used one of them with more than 3 billion active users in the second quarter of 2023. Why? Because it has been the most effective in helping us stay connected with our friends and family.
However, it got even better at fulfilling its purpose when Facebook Messenger was launched in 2011 – an all-in-one communication app. Its success can be estimated from the fact that 5 billion downloads of this app have happened using the Google Play Store alone, making it one of the most downloaded apps.
So, are you yet to be introduced to the Messenger app? Then we, at Insiderbits, will show you everything it has got – positives and negatives – in this review.
Messenger App Overview and Features
Messenger is an instant messaging app launched by Facebook to complement its social media platform and let its users chat privately. You might be surprised to know that its origin dates back to 2008 when it was titled “Facebook Chat”. However standalone apps on Android and iOS were not launched until 2011.
With time, it became more than just a messaging app by adapting to modern needs. That is why today it offers widespread features that range from unlimited texts, voice calls, and video chats to instant gaming built into the app itself.
- Send or get payments (US only) – Yes, just like WhatsApp, now you can also make transactions using the Messenger app. Just add your debit/credit card or Paypal account and you are all set.
- Chat with more people – Facebook has introduced Messenger Rooms which lets you be on a video call with as many as 50 people at a time. Thus, it can be used as a virtual get-together or a small office conference.
- Watch content together – As you connect with your friends, you can even enjoy watching videos, TV shows, and movies together even when apart just like the old times.
- Connect with businesses – Messenger is just about friends and family. You can also be in touch with your favorite brands and businesses to make reservations, get customer support, find deals, and more.
Messenger: Pros and Cons
- App security – It has a built-in app lock that secures everything you have inside your chats. Once you enable that, you will have to unlock it with your face or fingerprint.
- Lots of interactive elements – You have here lots of interactive elements that make the experience of communication more engaging. Some of them are emojis, reactions, gifs, and chat themes.
- Lack of trust – Facebook has recently faced a lot of allegations for its lack of privacy. Thus, there are perpetual concerns about your data being misused by the company.
How to Download and Use This App
Step 1: Click on any of the below links. If you don’t want to download the app, you can directly access the services with its website. This is ideal if you are using a computer. But we recommend you download the app if you prefer using mobile.
The below instructions will guide you as per the mobile app.
Step 2: Open the app and enter your Facebook credentials. Or click on “Create new account” at the bottom if you don’t have a Facebook account.
Step 3: (Optional) Let it access your contacts to suggest connections and offer you a better service.
Step 4: Now you will be in its Chats section. Go to Calls for making voice and video calls to your connections.
Under the People tab, you can join various communities and broadcast channels, watch stories, and more.
Messenger is great if you want to connect with the world without sharing your phone number (unlike WhatsApp). So, try it if you are one of the few people who haven’t used it yet. Privacy concerns do remain but even WhatsApp is part of Facebook. So, one way or another, you may be under its surveillance.