Social media was meant to connect people all over the world. But as it evolved, it turned into a marketing tool that many use to boost their personal brand, company brand, or their sales. There is no anonymous expression.
That is why many things we see in it are filtered to make it utmost likable. In other words, what people express on social media like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter may not be their true selves.
Just ask yourself don’t you feel like you are lagging in life when you see others bragging about their successes there? However, the reality may be different and more accurate if people start to express themselves anonymously.
With that in mind, a new social media platform was created called Whisper. Do you want to know more about it and how it stands apart from others? Then read on as we, at Insiderbits, will review it here.
Whisper: App Overview and Features
Would you like to express whatever you want without the fear of being judged or exposed? Then Whisper is just for you. As opposed to its name, it allows you to whisper that doesn’t stay unheard but echoes to the whole world.
But what makes it different from other platforms is that all its members will stay anonymous. Thus, here you will be able to find what people are really thinking instead of filtering out their message to make it more appealing.
People loved the concept so much that currently it has become a community of over 30 million people and growing.
Even a big digital media like Mashable praised it by saying, “The experience of spending time on Whisper is unlike any other major social network: It’s more raw, more moving…and yes, often more addictive.”
- Anonymous sharing – This is the USP of Whisper that makes it different from other platforms. You can express yourself more honestly with no fear. In fact, it is great to seek the support you need from your fellow anonymous friends.
- Chat directly – Whisper isn’t just about posting on a feed. It allows you to chat directly with other people to make new friends and have a good time together.
- Find groups – People in it have created groups based on their interests. So, find a group dedicated to what appeals to you and meet new like-minded people.
Just like other social media platforms, Whisper is completely free to use. However, it does show you targeted ads based on your interests.
Whisper: Pros and Cons
- No need to create an account – To make the experience as hidden as possible, it doesn’t even ask you to create an account. It will automatically assign you a display name that will be shown when you put whispers (just like a tweet is for Twitter) out there.
- Find nearby people – In it, there is a tab that sorts all the whispers that were sent from near your location. This makes it easy to find strangers around you.
- Not available in iOS – Currently, Whisper is only available in Android. So, if you are an Apple user, you will have to wait or find alternatives.
- Lacks multimedia – It isn’t a multimedia platform where you can send videos, images, and text. Basically, whispers are about text (up to 200 characters) with an image or video as a background which it suggests after you input the text.
How to Download and Use This App
Step 1: Click on the below link to go to the Google Play Store and download the app.
Step 2: As you open the app, it will ask you for permission to access your location to show you whispers nearby you and unlock location-based features. Click on “Got it” > “WHILE USING THIS APP”
Step 3: You don’t have to create an account to use it as you will be headed straight to its main feed. It will even auto-assign your display name which can be changed in the app’s settings.
Step 4: Click on the “+” sign at the bottom to share your first whisper. It is like sharing a text-based WhatsApp Status but it also suggests a suitable background for you.
Step 5: To chat with a person whose whisper you liked, click on his post and you will see the option to like, reply, or chat.
Whisper isn’t a full-fledged social media you can use to create a personal brand. It focuses on ease of expression without revealing your identity. This can be great if you are seeking help or unabashed opinions. Try it out as Whisper can be a completely different experience for you.