Google is most probably the only search engine you may have been using currently as it fulfills all your information-related needs. You may have even tried Yahoo! a few times here and there. But have you ever heard of Yandex?
If you answered no, then here, our team at Insiderbits will introduce you to a new search engine that existed from the time when even Google was not launched. So, let us get started.
What is Yandex: Overview and Features
Yandex is a search engine and web portal developed by a Russian multinational technology company of the same name. It was first launched in 1997. But with time, it has expanded into other related services such as a browser, maps, online shopping, and more.
Of course, it is in no way near the popularity of Google due to its monopoly (91.54%), but still, Yandex is currently the 3rd most used search engine (1.78%) in the world with Bing being second (3.19%).
However, Yandex is quite popular in Russia, being the first choice among the natives with a 65.12% market share, more than double that of Google.
With such a limited popularity, you may be thinking about what it may have to offer. But, it is steadily making its presence felt with these features:
- Geo-dependent search – Yandex gives you results based on your location. So two users from different countries will get different results with each being more relevant to the user of that specific location.
- Wizard Answer – With this feature, Yandex tries to give you additional information that you may have regarding the query. For example sports scores, weather updates, or definitions.
- Language expertise – Yandex is good at understanding complex queries in Russian and other Eastern European languages which makes it a better choice for people living in those regions.
- Real-time search – Yandex gives priority to the current and most updated information. Thus, it is reliable for catching up with the latest news or trending topics.
Yandex: Pros and Cons
- Strong in specific markets – As we said earlier, Yandex continues to dominate in Russia and Eastern European countries by a huge margin. This is due to more accurate and more relevant results for users over there.
- Complete search features – Yandex may be lagging behind Google. But it has taken inspiration from it to provide you with not only the utmost accurate results but also related information to assist you in searching.
- Limited market share outside Russia – With sole domination in the Russian region, Yandex has lesser user data of other regions to provide personalized search results. Thus, you may find outdated information if you are searching from elsewhere.
- Potential privacy concerns – There may be concerns raised over its untrustworthiness over the privacy of your data. So, users prioritizing privacy may not use it.
- Less sophisticated algorithms – Compared to Google, Yandex’s search algorithms are considered less sophisticated and thus, more inaccurate. In other words, you are more likely to get irrelevant search results with Yandex.
How to Download Yandex and Start Using it
Click on any of the below links to go to the Yandex website or app marketplace to download the app.
It offers you many features other than just searching for information. You can see that on its website.
So, go to the section you find relevant to your needs and start using it.
Related: What is Google Play Console?
Yandex’s search engine comes nowhere near Google in terms of the quality of results you get. Its innovation and expansion are much slower for people living in other countries than Russia.