The MyShake app is a must-have tool for those living in geographic fault lines. Its mobile alert system is intuitive, warning you before earthquakes occur. In addition, it was developed by the UC Berkeley Seismology Laboratory. This characteristic increases its value.
Many people consider the results generated by the application to be reliable due to the integrity of its seismogram. Despite its advantages, its operation is somewhat complex for inexperienced users. For those mentioned above, at Insiderbits, we will explain its main elements.
MyShake – Features
MyShake’s functions are very versatile, guaranteeing efficient and highly reliable alerts. ShakeAlert powered this app, so the reliability of its data is unquestionable. Additionally, the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services is its official sponsor.
It is essential to mention that this is a tool that allows access to global information on various geographic faults. However, it is limited to a specific geographic space, so it will not be available for all regions. The features of the application are as follows.
• Mobile alert on geological faults
• Personalized settings to know the status of your loved ones
• Emergency maneuvers
• Observations on the experience lived during the earthquakes
• Recommendations on how to act in emergencies
• Personalized alert system
• Location alert via HomeBase
Despite these flashy features, MyShake is only available for California, Oregon, and Washington. Likewise, the most recent updates incorporated Mexico City. The previous characteristic is not a disadvantage since it provides reliable information.
Likewise, the earthquake alert is very selective because it only registers extremely high magnitudes. To give you an idea of its transparency, it only shows earthquakes greater than 4.5. Excluding mild tremors improves information reception.
How to download MyShake?
The application is available in the Play Store, and the best of all is that it is free. Likewise, it is virus-free and does not request special permissions for its operation. It even works on most devices. In addition, it is very light. Follow these steps to download.
1. Access the Play Store from your mobile
2. Click on the Download option
3. Wait for the installation to complete
As you can see, this is a simple download process. However, the complicated part is its configuration. Remember that the geographical area is limited; Consequently, you can only filter the states of California, Oregon, Washington, and Mexico City to record earthquakes.
MyShake – Settings
Once you have downloaded and installed the application, you must calibrate it. The configuration is not complicated, but you will have to be very precise to avoid inconveniences. At Insiderbits, we will explain how to adjust MyShake properly on your mobile.
1. When you open the app, it will ask you to grant access to your geographic position. Click on the Allow option. Now, the contract will be displayed with the clauses for using the application.
2. Accept the Terms of Service to continue setup, then click the Agree box.
3. In the search engine, select the state where you are and then choose Filters to customize.
4. Select the interval of days that the application will record ground movements. Starting from the day of download until 14, choose the period you want.
5. Indicates the degree of magnitude of the earthquakes that MyShake will identify. By default, the preset indicator is 3.5. Change it to 4.5, and finally, click Apply.
6. click the Legend box to view preliminary earthquake information to improve tracking. Likewise, you can click on LIST OF EARTHQUAKES to observe the geographic faults of the world.
You need to have Internet access to calibrate the application. Likewise, the mobile alarm will only be issued if you are connected. To improve the experience of using MyShake, remember to make regular updates. There is a possibility that your status will enter the system.
Many users certify that its interface is easy to get used to. This app also provides special functions to make the user experience more entertaining.
Did you know you can share the experience of earthquakes with others? This exciting feature facilitates communication between people physically or psychologically affected by tremors. By contributing to this cause, you will be helping those affected overcome their traumas.
MyShake updates will provide enormous advantages since they will gradually include new geographic areas for recording seismic activities. This topic is fascinating, so we invite you to consult similar information in our content catalog.