If you are looking to enter the US border for traveling or delivering cargo, then you will have to go through its customs and complete the required process. It may seem like a daunting task for you, considering all the vague information and tiring paperwork.
But nowadays, it is much easier and more straightforward than you think, thanks to a dedicated mobile app created by the authorities to help people with it – CBP One. Read on to find out what services it provides and how you can use the app.
CBP One: App Overview and Functions
CBP stands for US Customs and Border Protection. CBP One is its official app designed to streamline various of its services. This app serves the role of a centralized portal that guides users to specific features they need with a series of guided questions.
As of this writing, it only has 2 primary functions – inspection appointment request and I-94. Let’s have a look at both of them more closely.
- Inspection appointment request – This feature is for brokers, carriers, and forwarders to request an inspection for perishable cargo entering the US by using the CBP One mobile app.
After putting in the inspection request, you will also be able to get real-time status updates regarding it. You can also chat with a CBP Agriculture Specialist if you need more help with this.
Note that even though the app is available throughout the US, you can book appointments for the inspection of perishable cargo only with the participating Ports of Entry (POE).
- I-94 – This feature is for general travelers entering the US. It allows travelers to apply and pay for their I-94 up to seven days before stepping in.
If you are unaware of I-94, it is a form used by U.S. Customs and Border Protection to keep track of the arrival and departure of non-US citizens coming to the country. It is also called the Arrival-Departure Record Card.
CBP One also provides you with a digital copy of your I-94 and access to 5 years of your travel history. You can also get the same with the I-94 website if you don’t want to use the mobile app.
Many new features and services are on their way to get integrated with the CBP One app. Some of them will be regarding small vessel operators, bus operators, aircraft operators, seaplane pilots, commercial truck drivers, and commercial vessel operators.
CBP One: Pros and Cons
- No ads – Since this is an official government app created for a more accessible service and not for commercial purposes, you won’t be interrupted by ads while using the CBP One app.
- Easier custom process – This app makes the process much less overwhelming than it was earlier. Now, you can do it with the ease of your smartphone anytime and anywhere.
- Guided assistance – Another thing we liked about this app is that it doesn’t bombard you with the list of all the services it provides. Instead, it asks you a couple of questions first to understand your needs and gives you access only to the services relevant to you.
- Average user interface – Its user interface doesn’t exceed the standard maintained by other government service apps. But, even though it isn’t so appealing, it isn’t so bad either. It is just okayish enough to get your work done.
How to Download and Start Using This App
Step 1: Click on any of the below links to go to the Google Play Store/App Store to download the app.
Step 2: Open the app and you will be asked to log in or sign up first. You will also have to set up 2 authentication methods, one primary and one as a backup, so you can be verified while using it.
Step 3: It will then ask you various questions to guide you better. It will be simple questions such as your traveling purpose, traveling method, etc.
Step 4: For instance, here is the page it will take you if you want to come to the US for travel. You can get your documentation done from here.
CBP One is the only app you need to complete all the processes related to US customs and immigration. It makes your task much more convenient than before with its carefully designed navigation and interface. So, download it now if you are looking to enter the US in any way – air, sea, or road.