Reel has quickly erupted to be the most preferred form of content on social media, thanks to the genius idea from the creators of TikTok. So much so that even non-social media platforms like YouTube had to adapt to it.
Since then the graph of reel consumption has gone to new peaks. But both, YouTube Shorts and TikTok have their uniqueness and serve different purposes.
So, are you curious about what those differences are? Then read on as we at Insiderbits will show you what each platform has to offer to you.
YouTube Shorts: Overview and Features
YouTube Shorts is a short-form video platform launched by YouTube in 2020 to compete with the rising popularity of reels on TikTok. However, there isn’t a separate app for it. You watch or create reels from the YouTube app.
It allows you to upload vertical videos of up to 60 seconds. To help you with that and make your content engaging, it has many built-in add-ons such as effects, filters, and music.
1. Integration with YouTube
YouTube has utilized its vastly popular video platform for YouTube Shorts. This helps YouTube creators open up a channel to share standard videos as well as reels from a single platform.
No need to build an audience separately. Each creates the fodder for the success of the other.
2. Music Library
Since almost the whole world’s music is uploaded on YouTube, you will have a vast library of music to choose from which is a crucial component of a successful reel.
3. Creation Tools
On top of effects, filters, and music, YouTube Shorts even provides you with video editing tools like a multi-segment camera, speed controls, and a timer. This makes it super easy to edit and upload the reel directly from the platform.
Since you can earn money with a YouTube channel uploading standard videos, creators of YouTube Shorts weren’t kept away from it. So, even the short-form content in it is monetizable.
TikTok: App Overview
TikTok is regarded as the originator of reels. The popularity it gained sparked a chain reaction to disrupt social media and content creation. It all started in 2016 with short-form videos of only 15 seconds maximum.
But now, the maximum length allowance has been increased to 10 minutes which is much higher than what it is in other similar platforms. It mostly appeals to youth with its focus on dance, music, comedy, and entertainment.
1. For You Page
It is exactly what it sounds like. The For You Page is where you can find reels that are personalized as per your interests which TikTok’s algorithm decoded from your activities – likes, shares, and comments.
2. Duets and collaborations
Just like Instagram, TikTok also allows you to collaborate with other creators to take advantage of each other’s popularity. For that, you can create duets and side-by-side split-screen videos.
3. Trend culture
TikTok is often known for its trend-setting culture. With challenges, dance moves, and tricks going viral in it, it is likely to influence pop culture more than any other platform.
YouTube Shorts vs TikTok: Differences
- Video length – In TikTok, you can upload videos of as long as 10 minutes. Whereas YouTube Shorts allows videos of only up to 60 seconds. However, longer videos can be uploaded on YouTube’s standard platform which has no time limit.
- Content focus – YouTube Shorts appeals to a much broader audience as it focuses on all types of content categories. TikTok is more inclined towards young people as dance, music, comedy, and entertainment are more prevalent categories in it.
- Monetization – YouTube provides you with better monetization opportunities with its Partner Program since it is a video-based platform created to support creators. TikTok offers limited monetization options.
- Algorithm – YouTube Shorts’ algorithm prioritizes content as per user engagement and relevance to existing channels. TikTok’s algorithm focuses on recommending content based on personalized interests.
- Availability – YouTube Shorts is available almost worldwide barring a few countries like China and Iran. TikTok is a Chinese app that has been prone to get banned in certain regions due to data security issues and geopolitics.
How to Download YouTube Shorts and TikTok
YouTube Shorts is available in the YouTube app itself which might be already in your phone. If not, click on any of the below links to download it.
Click on any of the below links to download TikTok.
YouTube Shorts and TikTok are great platforms to enjoy amazing reels, each targeting different areas. So, it is irrelevant to find out which one is better than the other. However, if you are in the US, TikTok may be an unstable option to build an audience. With that said, enjoy what you find to be better.