Are you a bird lover? Of course, who isn’t? But many a species of birds are hard to recognize by the naked eye until and unless you are an expert. But that shouldn’t stop you from exploring more about a bird and diving deep into its uniqueness.
But relax, it is much easier these days to know about the beauty of birds around you, thanks to bird identification apps. So, read on as we, at Insiderbits, have listed 3 such apps for you to try.
3 Best Bird Identification Apps
1. Merlin Bird ID by Cornell Lab
- Customized bird lists for any location
- Global accessibility for bird identification
- Integration with eBird for tracking sightings
- Machine learning magic with Visipedia for accurate photo and sound identification
Merlin Bird ID is one of the most popular bird identification apps out there. It deserves this because it is powered by eBird – the world’s largest database of bird sightings, sounds, and photos. So, no matter which bird you meet, you can get its information within seconds using this app.
Developed by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, it offers you 4 ways to identify birds – answering questions, uploading a photo, recording a sound, or exploring birds in a specific region. Thanks to machine learning, it does so accurately.
Since it comes in the world’s most popular languages, it is suitable for people living across the world to know better birds around them. And, you would be glad to hear that the Merlin Bird ID is completely free and doesn’t even show ads.
2. Picture Bird – Bird Identifier
- Accurate bird identification through photos and sounds
- Detailed bird information such as appearance, sound, habitat, and feeding habits
- In-app collection function to manage and save observations
- High-quality articles on bird ID, attracting tips, birding hints, and sightings
The Picture Bird app uses deep learning technology to recognize over 10 thousand bird species with remarkable precision. So, when you upload a photo or record a bird’s sound, Picture Bird compares it with information in its huge database and provides you with the required results.
What’s fascinating about this app is the depth of detail it provides. Beyond the general bits and pieces, it also provides information on appearance, sound, habitat, feeding habits, etc. You can also save the bird observations you made to recall them later.
It also has a community of over a million bird enthusiasts to explore the amazing world of birds together. Its premium plans start from $3.99 and go up to $39.99.
3. Audubon Bird Guide
- Bird ID for easy species identification
- Over 3,000 photos and eight hours of audio clips
- Keep track of your every bird encounter
- Engage in bird-related news and conservation efforts with Audubon
The Audubon Bird Guide is targeted towards North American bird species. So, it allows bird identification of over 800 species of that region. Designed for bird lovers with any experience level, it is created to encourage outdoor exploration and increase the human connection with nature.
Its field guide has over 3000 photos, 8+ hours of audio clips, multi-season range maps, and in-depth text written by North America’s renowned bird expert Kenn Kaufman.
You will also get bird-related news, the location of nearby bird hotspots, and updates on conservation efforts made by Audubon. All this is completely free of charge.
Watching birds in their habitat is a surreal experience and these bird identification apps only add another layer to it by introducing various species to you. So, have any of these apps on your phone and start exploring nature’s wonderful creatures.